Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Networking for the Elite: aSmallWorld

I was browsing through BusinessWeek and ran across this great article by Catherine Holahan titled, "Way Too Good for Facebook or My Space". Click through and check it out...

I have now been introduced a relatively new networking site called aSmallWorld. I immediately went to Wikipedia and here is what they had on the site...

I have just realized that the main reason I've never heard of this site is because I've never been invited - yes, you heard me right. You can't just create a profile and join like basically all the other networking sites with millions and millions of members. You must be patient and wait on an invitation. By the way, not all members can invite new members to join - only established members can.

I have a confession to make...I'm just a LinkedIn user and have used it quite a bit over the last year to re-connect with former colleagues and good hires that I've made over the last 7 to 9 years. This very statement probably disqualifies me from being an invited member of aSmallWorld but for today, that's ok.

So, what's your take on these exclusive networking sites?

Check out these quotes from the article...

Critics are split into two camps: Some call aSW dreadfully elitist, while others say it's not exclusive enough. Nonmembers have nicknamed the site "Snobster," arguing that its invitation-only policy contradicts the premise of open communications upon which the Web was built. Then there are those on the inside who complain that, in an effort to become profitable, aSW is accepting less "valuable" members.

While there's little argument that aSW is growing fast, what constitutes too fast is open to debate. In the three-and-a-half years since its launch, membership has grown from 500 users to about 260,000. But MySpace has grown to more than 100 million members over a similar timeframe, making it a major recipient of the $900 million that research firm
eMarketer estimates will be spent on social-network advertising this year.

Now, which one do you join? It's your call - well almost your call since you're the one that's got to wait on the invitation...

0 comments: