Thursday, August 16, 2007

Dangerous Job = High Salary?

Anyone out there interested in risking their life on a day by day basis just to earn more money than the guy next door with the Maserati? Has keeping up with the "Jones's" tempted you to roll the dice and become a Pilot - the 2nd the most dangerous job in the US?

Hmmm...I don't think I'm there yet.

I just ran across this article on CNN by Les Christie titled, "America's most dangerous jobs". The article tells us that last year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, over 5,700 people lost their life while on the job.

Check out this chart below of the Top 10 most dangerous jobs.

I guess Commercial Fisherman doesn't really surprise me as being the most dangerous job in the US but I really wouldn't have picked Pilots as #2. Also, if I was risking my life daily I'd expect to be compensated for it. According to the BLS website commercial fishermen only made from $322 to $775 per week - not worth the risk to me and I'll pass.

On the other hand, Pilots made an average of $129K per year - now you've got my attention. If you don't have the nerves for flying through the air, Air Traffic Controllers made an average of $102K per year.

Now, for #3, a Logger. Any thoughts about how much money they made? The most you'll probably make is about $26.00 per hour.

So, as you can see, an increase in danger doesn't automatically give you an increase in salary.

Now what? You going to make a job change or just stick to your current job?

If all you want to know is what the top paying jobs are, CareerBuilder has a list here...

Enjoy!

0 comments: