Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Flaming Your "Former Co-worker"...Not a Good Idea!

Disclaimer: I have changed the names to protect the innocent in this scenario below. As you'll see and read below, the only innocent ones that deserve protection are "former co-worker", "manager", and "third party" - the "candidate" doesn't deserve protection but he'll get it anyway.

Here's the scenario. "Candidate" applies for a job at "Company XYZ" while still employed at "Company ABC". He soon realizes that his "former co-worker" is now the "manager" for the position he has just applied for.

Here's where it gets interesting...the best part of this is that "candidate" sent this to me via e-mail.

Check it out...

Thanks for the information below. I didn't realize that it was "former co-worker" who was handling the position. I don't normally toot my own horn. But in this case I feel it's necessary. I am 10 times the developer that "former co-worker" is and his work ethic and level of excellence isn't even on the same page as my own. I have worked very closely with him and reviewed his code. It is substandard in my opinion. He's friendly and easy to get along with. I liked working with him because of his spirit of cooperation. But in all honesty, he's very lazy. I have done twice his work here at "company ABC". I have 17 years of experience in my skills and I've been an architect is some of my roles. "Former co-worker's" skills simply do not even compare. Ask "third party".

Any thoughts? Have any stories like this one that you would like to share?

If you are curious, this is definitely a true story and no, I am no longer considering him for the position he applied for.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Oh jeez. I'm not even clear on what his point was. Was he just denigrating the manager for no particular reason? I can't for the life of me figure out the goal of his email.

Chris Young said...

Wow...

I would say that the candidate did "Company XYZ" a favor by showing his true colors prior to the hire.

If I were "Company XYZ", I would be thankful that I had the opportunity to de-select this candidate due to potential of "emotional terrorism". If this person is capable of this - what else are they capable of?

You might do the candidate a favor by sharing the book, "Likeability Factor" by Tim Sanders... He could do himself some good by "polishing" how people see him.

Good Blog!
Chris Young
Founder/Daymaker
The Rainmaker Group, Inc.
http://www.therainmakergroupinc.com
http://rmg.typepad.com

Karen said...

Well that certianly falls into the career suicide category doesn't it? What on earth are these people thinking?

I think the candidate was trying to say "If you think he's good enough to be a manager, you'll certainly want me because I'm even better!" - Not that anyone would believe this guy!